of St. Bogorodica Zahumska - Zaum
church St. Bogorodica Zahumska is located on the shore of Lake Ohrid, on its eastern part
around 20 km of the town of Ohrid near the village of Trpejca. It is usually called St.
Zaum. An inscription in the interior indicates that it was built and fresco painted in
1361. This church, like the churches of St. Bogorodica Perivlepta (St. Clement) and St.
John the Theologian - Kaneo, is in the shape of a cruciform with a dome surmounting the
The blind arches divide its three-sided apse. The church in its
original shape also had a parvis. The frescoes of the church St. Bogorodica Zahumska are
The Saints portrayed to their natural size dominate the first zone.
Amongst them are the portraits of the Hermits, Ss. Clement and Naum, Christ, The Holy
Mother, and others. The second zone is filled with scenes of the Life of the Holy Mother
with an emphasis on the innovative nature in depicting the interior in the scene of The
Birth of the Virgin Mary. The eastern wall of the former parvis is covered with the scene
showing Jesus Christ and the Holy Mother dressed in royal garments. There are also
portraits of Ss. Peter and Paul, as well as of Ss. George and Dimitry dressed in noble
According to A. Nikoloski, the fresco painter expresses a sense of
spontaneity in the compositions. Also a more refined taste is present, whereas the colours
are lively within the scope of light colours. In view of these features, Nikoloski
distinguishes the fresco Master of the church St. Bogorodica from his contemporaries who
worked in Ohrid. It is assumed that the artist gained his painting education in